Teaching Materials: Using Literature in the EFL/ESL Classroom
(http://www.onestopenglish.com/support/methodology/teaching-materials/teaching-materials-using-literature-in-the-efl/-esl-classroom/146508.article)
This website gives an overview of teaching literature in the classroom before moving on to give an example of a DIY literature lesson plan and the potential problems that one might face in conducting a literature lesson.
Three ideas that I took away from this website:
1) Before Reading: This is a stage in the lesson plan could be optional or part of the warmer, which is an introductory activity for the text involved. In this stage, there is a focus on reading, in which the teacher can pre-teach vocabulary in the text, predict the sequence of events, that is, what happens next after something else occurs, as well as giving students a "taste" of the text by reading an extract.
2) Understanding the language: This stage looks at the way that certain words are used, especially the more difficult ones, and their connotations as they appear in the work.
3) Follow Up Activities: These activities are meant to be conducted after working on the text, so as to stimulate further thinking in the students. There are a range of activities suggested, depending on the work examined in class.
Review of the three ideas:
1)
I think that this idea might
work better in a class of higher ability, or in a class with students who love reading,
since there is a focus on reading. Students who do not possess the above
criteria might find the pre-teaching of vocabulary and reading of extract boring
or pointless (or lame).
2)
I think that this idea is good
in the sense that it gives students a better understanding of the nuances
present in any literary work, as well as increase their vocabulary. On the
other hand, the focus on words and what they mean in the text might prove to be
dry and boring to students.
3)
I think that this idea can be used effectively to boost interest
in the work. By giving the students a follow up activity after the lesson, the
students are encouraged to engage in self-directed learning to a certain
extent.
(150 words)
Hope you guys find this useful!
I am intrigued by the personal growth model of the different models of teaching literature in class -- it appears to have traits of the reader-response mode of criticism we have thus far encountered, and also ties back in to your third point, on how to generate more interest in the students for the text. General comprehension (stage three on website) seems to be relevant, for it allows students the space to experience a piece of work without added pressures of a task or expected performance. It reminds us of the importance of creating opportunities for our students to love literature, perhaps by providing them with an evocative piece of text as suggested.
ReplyDeleteHello Rachel! I like the way this website is structured, because it mirrors a thought process that should go through one's mind when lesson planning. In particular, I find the list of points under "Problem 2: How do I choose material?" a useful reminder of the sorts of questions that should arise in my content selection. I can imagine working out a routine practice for myself, where I sit down and list some of these questions specific to each class, and answer them after fixed intervals of time, using this process not only to better plan my lessons, but also to track the development of my students, and of my teaching.
ReplyDeleteFound some other useful stuff on onestop as well such as this article which gives an overview of reasons for using literature in the English classroom (http://www.onestopenglish.com/support/methodology/teaching-materials/teaching-materials-using-literature-in-the-efl/-esl-classroom/146508.article).
ReplyDeleteOn point (1) Students with difficulty in reading might find the vocab exercise useful. It also helps to read part of a text to inspire and encourage students who are less able.