My experience with
reading started at a young age when my parents read to me before bedtime. When
I displayed an interest in books (as a result of the regular sessions of
bedtime storytelling), they introduced me to the Peter and Jane primer series.
I found the primer boring, because of the lack of a proper plot or conflict,
and was very glad when I could finally “graduate” and move on to proper books
with more interesting content, such as the Enid Blyton series and the Disney
Princess series, which consisted only of five princesses back then, Ariel,
Belle, Jasmine, Cinderella, and Snow White. I revelled in the make-believe
world of pixies, elves, fairies and fairy godmothers, often wishing that the
real world that we lived in had such beautiful and mysterious creatures as
well.
In primary school, I
picked up the Nancy Drew and Sweet Valley series, along with a few of the
Little House on the Prairie series. I also remember reading Anne of Green
Gables, A Little Princess (by Frances Hodgson Burnett), a few of Roald Dahl’s
books, as well as other books whose titles I cannot recall. Looking back, I
think that it is intriguing that most of the books that I read then were about
girls (whether children or teenagers), and their lives. Perhaps I could
identify with the viewpoints of these female characters, or perhaps I bought
into the idea of these romanticized notions of living in a peaceful, somewhat
pastoral world as depicted in the texts. Toward the end of primary school, I
picked up books such as the Diary of Anne Frank and Falling Leaves by Adeline
Yen Ma, autobiographical texts with darker and more adult themes.
In secondary school, I
had less time for reading, with an increased workload and CCA schedule.
However, because I took literature as a subject, I could still read within
curriculum time. Lower secondary literature consisted of books such as Sing to
the Dawn and Rice Without Rain, while upper secondary literature consisted of
books such as King of the Castle and Twelfth Night. I enjoyed literature
lessons not just because of the time that I could spend ‘legitimately’ reading,
but also because of the analysis of these texts in class, something that I had
never consciously done before. It brought a new lens to my reading, the idea
that I could interpret the texts in different ways. It was also the first and
last time I did a ‘proper’ study of a Shakespearean text. In the meantime, I
also picked up The Clay Marble, another text by Minfong Ho, various ‘chick lit’
such as Confessions of a Shopaholic, and magazines.
Moving on to junior
college, I was very excited about literature lessons: I was convinced they
would provide more in-depth and critical discussions and readings of the texts
in the curriculum. The texts I studied were selected poems by Wilfred Owen, two
Dublin plays by O’Casey, Juno and the Paycock and The Plough and the Stars, The
Great Gatsby, and The Duchess of Malfi by John Webster. By that time, I was
more interested in meeting up with friends or watching television programmes in
my spare time. Thus, I ‘stopped’ reading for a while, focusing only on my
A-level texts.
This break from
reading continued into university, where I read mainly texts that were required
for my modules. Some of these include: Midnight’s Children, Shame, Disgrace,
Foe, Robinson Crusoe, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, The
Bluest Eye, Love, and the list goes on.
Right now, I’m slowly
starting to read again. I am currently interested in Asian American,
specifically, Chinese American, literature. This interest could have been
sparked off from my thesis writing, where I wrote on Chinese American
Literature. I have recently finished reading A Thread of Sky by Deanna Fei, and am
planning to pick up Please Look After Mom by Kyung Sook Shin. Hopefully, this
effort to start reading again will continue and develop, allowing me to step
into the different worlds of literature again.
Hi Rachel, reading is almost like an investigative journey into another world. I remember visiting Vietnam and reading all these works by Vietnamese writers, albeit in English.I suppose this Asian Asian strand is interesting and provides a view into other worlds, in some ways similar but so different in others. If you think about it, we are Chinese-Singaporean - but in our specific location, how do our grappling with issues of identity work out in comparison to Asian Americans?
ReplyDelete