I didn’t always enjoy reading. Before I was
three or four, getting me to read words out loud was a real pain, because I would
squirm, quite literally, away from the effort. It didn’t help that Peter and
Jane were mind-numbingly dull characters who did absolutely nothing of interest
in the course of the entire primer series. So, no, I wasn’t born reading. Once
I became fairly literate, however, I enjoyed reading very much, and spent my
childhood divided between reading voraciously and torturing my older sister. My
mother says she got me reading as young as possible to get me out of everyone’s
hair.
Books I enjoyed in primary
school include most of Enid Blyton’s works, but particularly the Malory Towers series (it wasn’t til I was
quite a few pages in that I realised Darrell Rivers was, in fact, a girl). I
also cried my way through most of the Newberry books (Death by Newberry medal
is, in fact, a trope on tvtrope.org), and was a huge fan of Katherine Paterson,
Madeleine L’Engle, and Lois Lowry. I was allowed to read the Nancy Drew series in moderation, banned
from Sweet Valley High (my mother
sniffed that it was the equivalent of literary cotton candy), and quickly discovered
that if it came in a Penguin Classic cover, I was very likely to enjoy it. It
became a mark of pride for me to read these ‘classics’ unabridged, because clearly the abridged versions were for babies.
I think my classmates must have found me insufferable. I remember my English
teacher being a little startled when she found me reading Hard Times in P6, but it wasn’t til I re-read it years later that I
understood more of its nuances, so really, I wouldn’t judge anyone by the cover
of the book they are reading.
In secondary school I had a
lot less time to read, but one book I remember really enjoying was Holes. The rest fade into a blur of
compulsory texts: Red Sky in the Morning
(which obviously I cried over), Macbeth
(which gave me nightmares), and Romeo and
Juliet (which gave me nightmares, for different reasons. I did not cry.). I
did half-lit in upper sec, because I could only do eight subjects (I wasn’t
from a good school), and I desperately wanted to do triple science just to
prove I could. That, coupled with the fact that I didn’t do Shakespeare at the
A levels either, meant that my only experience with studying Shakespeare is the
abridged versions of Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet from lower sec, and one
module at university level, which I’m afraid I sparknotes-ed my way through (I was
sick that semester). I also read some poetry (volumes I remember are Plath’s Ariel and Heng Siok Tian’s Crossing the Chopsticks).
In junior college, I read
Blake, whom I detested immediately (too insipid), and The God of Small Things, which I love. That was when I discovered I
like the way Indian writers wield the English language. I also really enjoyed
the texts we read for the gothic module, even though I could never study at
night because I got nightmares. I also read the translated scans of a manga
that was popular at the time, Death Note,
and John Logan’s play, Never the Sinner.
I still think Never the Sinner is one
of the most beautiful plays to read, because Logan beats out syllables and
spaces with a heartstoppingly masterful baton. I started reading more non-fiction
in junior college as well – Nietzsche (whom I still won’t pretend to
understand), some Christian apologists, academic writings on the books I was
enjoying.
After my A levels, I read Everything is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and
became a very vocal Foer fan (I read Tree
of Codes when it came out, and liked how it engaged with the idea of
absences), and started reading more postcolonial and queer-themed books. In university,
we only had one compulsory module (the introductory module), so the modules I read
did represent my interests to a large degree; all the gender/queer modules available
to me, female writers, Victorian/19C texts, cultural-studies-themed modules,
anything that proposed to deal with power and discourse in general. I also
revisited old interests in children’s literature, re-reading The Little Prince (which remains one of
my favourite texts), Alice in Wonderland
and Through the Looking-Glass, Oscar
Wilde’s short stories, and Malory Towers
(on which I wrote an independent study paper in my last semester). Kazuo
Ishiguro remains one of my favourite authors, and I still like Jeanette
Winterson’s Oranges are Not the Only Fruit
and J. M. Coetzee’s Disgrace.
It’s difficult – nearly impossible
– to think of all the books that have had an impact on me, much less all I’ve
enjoyed. But in general I did read a lot of Austen, a lot of Dickens, and
anything that was presented as canonical (i.e., came in a Penguin Classics
cover). I think perhaps I remember the books which made me cry (and there were
a lot, because fiction has an affective pull over me which real life somehow
lacks) – Goodnight Mr. Tom, A Simple Story (which caught me
off-guard because it was, quite literally, an 18th century
sentimental novel), some of James Herriot, Rilla
of Ingleside (because Walter died, and I had loved Walter—Anne’s beautiful,
poetic son!), Tess of the D’urbevilles
(Thomas Hardy is in a class of his own when it comes to hanky-soaking
narratives), etc.
Mine is a reading history
that I think might alienate most of my future students, except that I read a
great deal of fanfiction in secondary school and junior college. Up to
recently, really (I only stopped because real life finally got more demanding).
When I was relief teaching or doing my ESE, students would be surprised that I knew
what fanfiction was, and was familiar with some of its conventions and tropes. Obviously
we didn’t really read in the same fandoms, but I could use fanfiction to talk
about certain general literary techniques or styles. I think perhaps fanfiction
brings escapism to whole new levels, because not only are you reading what is
overtly fiction, but this fiction has spawned fictional worlds of its own, and I
like the idea of alternate universes, multiple ‘verses. I like seeing how
different readers interpret and write characters differently, and how certain
online cliques (the Big Name Fans) operate a little like 21st century internet
Bloomsbury Groups in how members influence each other’s narrative styles and
concerns. But mainly I like how terrible things can happen in a story, and I can
revel in the catharsis of the moment, because somewhere in another story,
another universe, the characters are safe and sound, and they’ll always be safe
and sound in the collective imagination of the fandom, ready to be taken out
like dolls or action figures, for another round of play.
You read R & J and Macbeth at lower sec! Is it the abridged or unabridged? Did you cry because it was unabridged?
ReplyDeleteGood that you have a little something up your sleeves to surprise your students.