This website is a hub for teachers of all subjects and from
all levels; it offers a myriad of resources for educators ranging from lesson
plans, classroom management articles, teaching methods, etc.
Here are some ideas:
1) Circles – The class is divided into groups/circles to discuss literature. Each circle will have a student assigned to a specific role: researcher, character assassin, plot specialist.
Here are some ideas:
1) Circles – The class is divided into groups/circles to discuss literature. Each circle will have a student assigned to a specific role: researcher, character assassin, plot specialist.
Review: Something I would explore; it emphasizes on critical skills - something pertinent to literature. I would add a devil’s advocate to offer opposing views.
2) Trashcan – Pose a question and have students write down their answers anonymously. The teacher reads the answers and assigns grades to good answers explaining why. Likewise, bad answers are explained and thrown into the trashcan.
Review: I like this idea; it helps students differentiate between excellent answers and bad answers. This might work against you; only do this if you know your class will give a wide range of answers.
3) Students in crises – the article explains how
certain texts can be appropriate for students who are dealing with crises such
as molestation, loss of loved one, acceptance…
Review: Not a lesson idea, but something for teachers to ponder on when choosing texts.
[163 words] I tried, I really tried. :(
Review: Not a lesson idea, but something for teachers to ponder on when choosing texts.
[163 words] I tried, I really tried. :(
I am rather intrigued by the trashcan idea, since the anonymity gives the students a 'safe' platform to write down their answers without being afraid of giving a 'wrong' or 'bad' answer. However, I'm not sure if the shield of anonymity might actually encourage some kids to intentionally provide silly answers as a joke, so I believe that this has to be implemented with care!
ReplyDeleteI really like the trashcan idea too! I think with proper handling it could be a very powerful learning tool as it involves all students and helps them to understand what is a strong answer in literature. An intermediate step we could consider is to get the students, in groups, to evaluate some of the anonymous answers too! That way they can practice their evaluation and ideas of what forms a strong answer before it's fed to them. The teacher can feedback based on their evaluation.
ReplyDeleteOut of curiosity, what's a character assassin? :O is it a cool name for character analyzer?
There are even tips for how to deal with "Missing Assessments"! Certainly relevant. Trashcan could work with shorter written work. Perhaps instead of the teacher giving a grade, students can assign the grade (as Samuel suggested) - as the culmination of a series of lessons on writing? Actually, students can write their practice passages in groups too? On "students-in-crisis" - have to be careful and sensitive though; sometimes, it may be hurtful to the student or too close to home. Circles idea - nice to have fun names for students when allocating different roles, esp. "character assassin."
ReplyDelete