b. Reflect on your teaching practicum so far: What have
you learned from your experience during TP? What kinds of challenges do you
foresee as you develop as a Literature teacher in your specific school context?
I
actually have not seen much of teaching before I stepped into my practicum (and
final posting, if I pass) school. To
say that it is akin to being thrown into reality with the flimsiest bag of
teaching tools is the closest I can come to articulating what has happened thus
far. Yes, I have struggled, and I am still struggling, and as recent as Monday,
I was called to the vice-principal’s office and told that I would “not pass
practicum”.
I have no idea what is going to
happen, actually (regarding that). The world of teaching is both fascinating
and horrifying. My students are hyper and insane and we have a love-hate
relationship. But I have a love-hate relationship with everything.
I have learnt that the one trait
that a teacher truly needs to have is that of fearlessness. (And
adaptability/quick-thinking comes a close second.) Every day is a walk-in to a
new audition, with fresh storylines and moody casting directors (the kids)
giving you the evil (or adoring, depending on who I’m talking about) eye. I
cannot begin to document the sheer amount of happenings that have taken place
(and are still taking place) every single moment since I have stepped foot in
the school. Even as I see my sec ones and sec twos (both express classes; they
are my two main classes) every single day, the power balance and dramatic
potential shift and morph drastically from day to day. I cannot begin to pin
them down (as they do me, I am sure) even though we are on very intimate terms
by now. I am on much Friendlier terms with the sec ones though. The sec twos… I
am unable to speak/write about them. The lack of fear in my
relations/presentation of self to them is not so much a declaration and
reclamation of power, but the way I model myself as someone who is unafraid of
their antics/bad behaviour, and hence able to successfully prevent a fight by
standing in between two boys while the whole class was banging on their desks
and chanting ‘fight, fight, fight!’ (This has now been relegated to being one
of the Mildest incidents at this point of writing.) Fearlessness has been
important, even up till today when one of my sec ones had yapped at me to chase
after a rugby ball (I can’t remember why I’d agreed to play captain’s ball with
them for Sports Day), and I’d obligingly done so, only to be pushed over onto
the ground by a small, hurtling force from out of nowhere (their opponent).
However, ever since the VP, the HOD, and my CT have spoken to me about my utter
failure in classroom management, I have decided to slip No-Nonsense over Fearlessness.
The importance of being No-Nonsense
and firm has never been more necessary than in my implementation of a classroom
management system. Being assertive would get the kids to listen to me (to stop
pacing/poking/stabbing each other, to be more exact), and then I could carry on with my lesson plan. Hence my lesson plan
comprises a proportionate amount of discipline to-be-done, which varies
accordingly from class to class. The discipline contracts I had inked with the
kids were a source of mirth for them (but since my CT liked it very much that I
“delivered discipline with humour”, fine whatever goes), and also for my “discipline
mentor”, the PE and Science teacher who faced the torment of one year of being
the sec twos’ class mentor (otherwise known as form teacher) in 2012. My CT has
assured me “they will stop laughing soon”, so okay, fine. Hence, the most
important skill to have for Surviving Practicum, and not getting burnt out when
you become a BT (I’m not sure about myself yet), is to have humour. To be able
to laugh at everything, and nothing at all. And a story-telling ability, such
that you can stay up till 2AM, not doing lesson plans but talking to your best
friend about the things that have happened – part of a recalibrating and
re-processing (from an other’s point of view) process. Ironically, I saw the
funny side in everything and that was why I haven’t been able to be really
angry with them, and to enforce consequences/ punish them. People get angry on
my behalf, but I couldn’t see the seriousness of the mistake I was committing.
And before that mistake kills me, I’ve to do a re-think of everything I’ve been
doing thus far, and “start all over, afresh” (in the words of the HOD, who had
me enact how I’d “deal with the sec twos” whilst she and my CT acted as them. I
had wanted to stab my heart out and leave the teaching profession there and
then. In relation to the enforced role-play, not the sec twos’ behaviour.)
I am unable to say much about the “kinds
of challenges [I] foresee as [I] develop as a Literature teacher” because I don’t think I’ll be/come a
literature teacher at all. I’ll be teaching English if and when I return to the
school, and the specific challenges for me are obviously classroom management
and how to balance humour with severity. I do very much admire the teachers who
have complete control of their classes and exude calmness from their very pores,
in their dealings with the kids. But perhaps everyone has their own style, be
it teaching or discipline.
Even
as I put on that front of being firm and fierce and no-nonsense, it is
gratifying (kind of a relief, actually) to have that front called a bluff at
the end of class, by one of the girls who giggled, “Ms Chng, were you serious?
I didn’t know whether to take you seriously when you’re fierce leh!” more
giggling, and followed by some boys who said, “we were giving you face, hello.
If we didn’t give you face….”
And
I do know I can’t have people coming in to scold my students for me every time.
While I figure out the logistics of how to get there, I hope to enlist the help
of as many of the teachers as possible (the supportive staff culture at the
school is one thing I am very thankful for).
To
be frank, it no longer feels a loss that I’ll be an English rather than
literature teacher (M, don’t kill me) – the opportunity to incorporate elements
of drama, poetry, and prose into my English lessons actually gives me greater
joy (than teaching the 1 NAs only
rhyme scheme for their unseen poetry component D: ). That’s for the sec one
class, of course, the ones who obviously see me as someone better than I am.
For the sec twos… I’ve to “manage” them, or I won’t be passing practicum.
Heya Jia Min, it's a tough place you are at, don't give up yet!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dr Loh!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete